An addition at the rear of the Alumnae Gymnasium, designed by William Downing, was completed. 

The San Francisco earthquake extended nearly 300 miles along the San Andreas Fault and left over 3,000 people dead.

Two school records fell in the annual Field Day.  Alice Belding ’07, who held the record for throwing a baseball 195 feet, 3 inches, jumped 7 feet, 7 inches in the standing broad jump, bettering the record jump of Dora Merrill ’02 by an inch.  Martha Gardner ’07 ran the 100-yard hurdle in  0:16 3/10, lowering the record set by Caroline Barnes ’05 of 0:17 1/10.

The junior class won the day with 43 points to 31 for the freshmen, 13 2/3 for the seniors and 11 1/3 for the sophomores.     The New York Times

The Philalethean Society produced another of Shakespeare’s plays at night on Sunset Hill.  Japanese lanterns lit authentic Elizabethan stage settings and costumes as Inez Milholland ’09 played Romeo to the Juliet of Emily Ford ’06.

The New York Times reported faculty censorship of this year’s Vassarion.  Pictures of students in hall plays portraying male roles were altered to obscure their knickerbockers.

The faculty censors relented after two years, and the 1909 Vassarion showed the masculine costumes of the thespians.

The board of trustees accepted the Carnegie Foundation pension plan for faculty. President Taylor was a trustee of the foundation between 1910 and 1914.


President Taylor conferred the bachelor’s degree on 102 Members of the Class of 1906 at Commencement in the Chapel.  The honors senior essayists were Susan Little Griggs ’06, Sidney Lewis ’06, Sarah Morris ’06, Alice Thurston McGirr ’06, Reba Hendrickson ’06 and Emily Ford ’06.

In his remarks, President Taylor announced that the trustees had approved spending $200,000 for the erection of a fifth residence hall in the residential quadrangle.  This, he said, would permit the college to remove the severe limits in place for entering students and thus would make Vassar less exclusive.

The president also announced that trustee Dr. Henry M. Sanders had pledged $75,000 for a building, as yet undesignated, in memory of his wife’s interest in women’s education.  The gift was to become Sanders Chemistry Building (1909), the first of two buildings Dr. Sanders gave to the college.

Vassar was among the 41 institutions on a provisional list of those eligible to receive benefits from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.  The foundation was founded by Andrew Carnegie in 1905 and chartered by an act of Congress in 1906.  The eligible group excluded institutions with state or municipal support or clear denominational ties and those falling below college level academic standards.

Professor of Geology and Mineralogy William Buck Dwight died suddenly at his summer home in Massachusetts.  Dwight, who had come to Vassar as James Orton’s successor in 1878, was 73 years old.