March 18, 1907
The announcement that a Maid’s Clubhouse would be built rewarded the efforts of many undergraduates and alumnae who raised the needed $10,000 and convinced the trustees both that some 200 maids, kitchen workers and other employees on campus were integral to the college and that ideas on which students and alumnae were allied should shape college policy.
To date, the effort had raised $8,478.41, and the rest was expected before the end of the calendar year. Professor Lewis Pilcher had drawn plans for a building containing a social hall, library, reading and sitting rooms, infirmary, bathrooms, gymnasium, locker room, kitchen and laundry. A junior, Ruth Weeks ’08, was chairman of the building committee. The New York Times