January 12, 1938
Under the direction of Christine Ramsey ‘29 of the English department and George Sherman Dickinson, the chair of the music department, the college broadcast the first Vassar radio program, from an improvised studio in a room in Skinner Hall adjacent to the concert hall. Through an arrangement with Peter Goelet, owner of WGNY, a station near Newburgh, the broadcast, the first in a planned series of 15-minute programs on Tuesdays and Thursdays from12:45 pm until 1, reached most of Dutchess, Orange, Ulster and Sullivan Counties.
The first program, violin and piano music, was presented by music Professor Quincy Porter, pianist John Crouch, an assistant professor—and Porter’s wife—the violinist Lois Brown. Future plans, drawn up by a committee of students and faculty, included concerts from the concert hall by the college choir, the glee club and the orchestra and dramatic sketches, faculty talks and recitals by the verse-speaking choir.