The college announced that anthropology, taught since 1925 in the zoology department, would become a separate department, offering majors in physical anthropology, cultural anthropology and archeology.  The work of the department was coordinated with courses in art, geology, Greek and Latin, and field trips to the American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the American Indian in New York City were part of the new curriculum.  A five-year grant from the Carnegie Corporation supported summer field work in American Indian archeology in the Hudson Valley.