January 13, 1940
The first results of the summer work of the Hudson Valley Archaeological Survey under the direction of Dr. Mary Butler ’25 went on display in Blodgett Hall. The artifacts discovered included tools and ornaments from “Woodland Indians,” inhabitants of the valley just prior to the coming of white settlers in the early 17th century. Also on display were earlier artifacts—arrowheads and chipped red slate and gray quartzite knives and scrapers. The project was conducted under a five-year grant to Vassar from the Carnegie Corporation.