May 3, 1945
Student Government President Elizabeth Gatchell ’45 christened the Vassar Victory—launched before V-E Day, but completed after it—at the Bethlehem-Fairfield shipyard in Baltimore. One of a number of Victory-class ships built as rather austere troop carriers, in a slightly upgraded configuration the Vassar Victory repatriated American troops from Europe. The ship made eight round trips between its maiden voyage to France on September 29, 1945 and its return to Baltimore on April 4, 1947.
Subsequently sold to a commercial line, the vessel—renamed the Castelbianco—brought displaced persons from Europe under the sponsorship of the International Relief Organization (IRO).