The college announced the $500,000 endowment of the Dexter M. Ferry, Jr. chair by the D. M. Ferry Jr. Trustee Corporation and members of the late Mr. Ferry’s family.  The chair was specifically intended to be assigned to any area of the curriculum.

Mr. Ferry had given $200,000 in 1950 for the Dexter M. Ferry, Jr. Cooperative House, which opened in 1951. Two of Mr. Ferry’s daughters, Edith Ferry Hooper ’32 and Jean Ferry Davis ’35, were Vassar graduates, and two of his sisters, Blanche Ferry Hooker ’94 and Queene Ferry Coonley ’96 had given $100,000 in 1919 for the erection of Alumnae House.