The Helen Lockwood Library, an extension of Thompson Memorial Library, opened at the beginning of the 1976-1977 academic year. The new library included a rare books room, faculty carrels, expanded shelf space and a 24-hour reading room.

Helen Drusilla Lockwood ’12 taught English at Vassar from 1927-1956 and chaired the English department from 1950-1956.  At her death in 1971, she bequeathed $6 million to Vassar, some of which was used to construct the Lockwood library. 
Suzanne Bordelon ed. Feminist Legacy: the Rhetoric and Pedagogy of Gertrude Buck