The first Vassar students took part in sponsored study abroad, with the University of Delaware group.  Study abroad for American students had begun in 1923, when eight male students from the University of Delaware lived and studied in Paris.  Women students were included in the following year, and Dean of Women Winifred Robinson, a former member of the botany faculty at Vassar, accompanied them.  At the urging of the American Council of Education, the program opened to students from other colleges and universities in 1925.